[Avodah] matzah in mitzrayim

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jan 11 16:03:26 PST 2011

On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 01:46:05PM -0800, daniel at kolberamah.org wrote:
> I thought that pshat was that they were not actually obligated in matzah
> the year of yetzias mitzriayim.  Otherwise, what does it mean that they
> didn't have time to make bread? ...

I think there was no issur chameitz for 7 days, but the night before
they had to eat a qorban pesach -- "al matzos umorerim yokhluhu" was
said about that year in particular in Shemos 12:8. And repeated ledoros
in Bamidbar 9:11.

So, the question of how they obtained shemurah matzah for that night
is to my mind still open.

Maybe it's something trivial, like Jews who grew wheat in Goshen,
and thus weren't impacted by barad. (Sorry for that pun.)

Micha Berger             Feeling grateful  to or appreciative of  someone
micha at aishdas.org        or something in your life actually attracts more
http://www.aishdas.org   of the things that you appreciate and value into
Fax: (270) 514-1507      your life.         - Christiane Northrup, M.D.