[Avodah] Prayer for Air?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jan 11 09:50:04 PST 2011

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 11:27:03AM -0000, LReich wrote:
: Since nowadays at any one moment in 24 hours there are many travellers
: on planes, should we not add "Bein Bo'avir?"

KBY (I was there '83-84) uses/d the nusach "ha'omedim bein ba'avir,
bein bayam ubein bayabashah". IIRC, the placement was so as to not
require adding or removing a vav from the already existing words.

Speaking of shivyah, of the 7 MIAs one, Ron (ben Batyah) Arad, was taken
from the air.

Although I personally mumble the ammended text (without intent to
be obvious about it and thus poreish min hatzibbur), I could see the
following argument against it. "Hanesunim batzarah uvashivyah" while still
in the air is a pretty small window, and thus not likely to include anyone
at the time you're saying it. People are taken shevi during hijackings or
when their plane is shot down, but then they are taken to the ground. (Or,
Hashem yeracheim, flown into buildings and not captive very long at all.)
How likely is it that while the baqashah is being made, there is any of
acheinu beis Yisrael batzarah ubashivyah ba'avir?

Micha Berger             "And you shall love H' your G-d with your whole
micha at aishdas.org        heart, your entire soul, and all you own."
http://www.aishdas.org   Love is not two who look at each other,
Fax: (270) 514-1507      It is two who look in the same direction.