[Avodah] Matza made with < 50% rice or corn

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Jan 9 15:15:08 PST 2011

On Sun, Jan 09, 2011 at 06:04:00PM -0500, Zev Sero wrote:
> For Ashkenazim, definitely not.  Ein mevatlin issur lechatchila.
> The only community I'm aware of that mixes kitniyot into their matzot
> are Temanim.   I assume the reason is that kitniyot were cheaper than
> wheat.

Qitniyos in general, or rice flour in particular?

I ask because Y-mi Challah 3:5 18b seems to place wheat-rice mixtures
in their own class WRT challah and chameitz. If the taste is of wheat,
then it's chayav in challah and can become chameitz -- and thus is usable
for matzah. It seems rice blends into the dough in ways other things
do not.

OTOH, Indian breads often have whole peas or other legumes mixed in. Maybe
it's a cultural-culinary thing.

Micha Berger             Friendship is like stone. A stone has no value,
micha at aishdas.org        but by rubbing one stone against another,
http://www.aishdas.org   sparks of fire emerge.
Fax: (270) 514-1507      	    - Rav Mordechai of Lechovitz