[Avodah] worst aveirah

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Thu Jan 6 22:37:43 PST 2011

From: Saul.Z.Newman at kp.org
:

>> the gmara often lists  ,  eg  acts that  can   as a single  act  genrate
multiple chiyuvim  of  chatat for example.   and  there is  a   general
sense of intensity of sin  thru the punishment -- payment,  makot, mitat
beit din, etc
i think other  religions  have  considerations  of what is the  WORST sin
one  can  commit.

i wonder if  we have  a WORST.   i  thought   chillul  hashem is the worst.
but  i  have  also come  across shichvat  zera levatala  as  the  worst  .
[ this would  be  interesting if   true, since  the  tora  doesnt  mention
it   directly post-sinai, nor  list  a punishment  [? un-atonable?]  ...<<

I am sorry I do not remember how he said it, but I once asked my  father
about that and he replied -- this is a paraphrase, NOT the words he used  --
that it was an obvious guzma, meant to frighten people away from doing an
aveira which many (most?) people are nichshol in at some time in their  lives
but which the Torah nevertheless wants them to refrain from.

--Toby Katz