[Avodah] Rav Moshe Shternbuch: Is It A Mitzva To Attend The Funeral Of A Non-Jew?

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Wed Mar 30 05:03:03 PDT 2011

 From http://revach.net/article.php?id=4218

The Bais Yosef (YD 367) brings from the Kol Bo that there is a mitzva
to be Melavah an Akum four amos.  The Bais Yosef explains that this
refers to Chasidei Umos HaOlam because they have a Cheilek of Olam Haba.

Rav Moshe Shternbuch (1:721) brings the Rambam who says that this is
only if the Akum kept the seven Mitzvos Bnei Noach.  Moreover he
needed to have kept them because that is what Hashem wanted and not
merely as a humanitarian gesture.  However says Rav Shternbuch, from
the words of the Bais Yosef it seems that any Akum who is kind to Am
Yisroel has this status, as long as he in fact keeps the seven
mitzvos, even if it isn't Lishma.

 From here we learn, says Rav Shternbuch, that any Akum that was good
to Am Yisroel, not only could we pay him his last respects, but it is
even a mitzva to do so.  This will also show our Hakoras Ha Tov and
make a Kiddush Hashem.