[Avodah] Kashrus of Dishwasher Detergent or Rinsing Agent

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Mar 29 08:48:41 PDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 07:44:02AM -0400, Prof. Levine wrote to Areivim:
> From  http://www.kashrut.com/Alerts/
> The following kashruth information is from a question to the OU on March
> 18, 2011 and additional information on March 23, 2011.
>
> Finish® Jet-Dry® Rinse Agent is certified as kosher, the OU symbol was
> inadvertently omitted from the new label.

This is the very stuff we invoke when needing to matir dishwasher mixups
as making the food touching the dishes nosein ta'am lifgam! Whether or
not that heter works is an issue of whether a pre-rinse cycle already
treifed them up. It's agreed that this substance isn't food.

This certification must be for some reason like Reckitt Benckiser's
marketing dept. finding that outside certification reassures the consumer
(Jewish and non-Jewish) that their Finish Jet-Dry rinse agent doesn't
contain anything disgusting. Not that the OU itself believes certification
is required for kashrus. See their web site, at
<http://www.oukosher.org/index.php/common/article/1377692>. To be
concerned for the kashrus of Jet Dry is to be be more machmir than the
Arukh haShulchan, the Mishnah Berurah, Rav Moshe Feinstein and R'
SZ Aurbach are -- FOR KASHER LEPESACH!

To quote the OU:
    The primary basis of prohibiting animal fat based soap (see the web
    site for the machloqes Shach and Taz on that point), which is to
    view their application to one's body as ingesting, does not apply
    to dishwashing soaps. Moreover, because of its unpalatable nature,
    dishwashing soap can not be considered a food. Since dishwashing
    soap does not have food status, based on gemara Avodah Zarah 67a,
    it can not be considered non-kosher even when containing non-kosher
    components. Moreover, this should apply to during Pesach as well,
    since these soaps are clearly nifsal meachilas adom and even
    meachilas kelev.

    A lenient position based on the gemara in Avodah Zarah should apply
    even if dishwashing soap would contain non-kosher components in
    significant proportions. However, it is interesting to note that
    in reality the likelihood that a soap would contain non-kosher or
    animal derivatives is very minimal.

Micha Berger             "'When Adar enters, we increase our joy'
micha at aishdas.org         'Joy is nothing but Torah.'
http://www.aishdas.org    'And whoever does more, he is praiseworthy.'"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rav Dovid Lifshitz zt"l