[Avodah] The Acharonim and Soft Matza

Meir Rabi meirabi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 09:45:17 PDT 2011

Reb Micha responds to my observation, "I simply wished to point out that
theses Acharonim had no hesitation in mentioning Soft Matza at all. They
did not see any reason to consider that Soft Matza should NOT be used."

Reb Micha says, "I don't think you can prove much from it. After all,
one could in theory require eating enough cracker-matzah so that it
would compress to a kezayis. They would still use the term "afilu hi
rakah va'asuyah kisfug" because that's the jargon since before the
norm switched."

Reb Micha, I find your position very difficult to accept. "Talmudic or
Halachic Jargon" I imagine requires that it be quite common which this
is not.

Why not be less startled and re-evaluate your assertion that soft Matza
was almost certainly out of use amongst Ashkenasim for decades before
they wrote their Halachot. Perhaps, as is suggested by their expression,
soft Matza was still at least a fresh memory if not an actual fact amongst
certain groups and it is these that the Poskim address their comments.