[Avodah] How to measure a kezayis of matza

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Thu Mar 17 10:38:47 PDT 2011

In the thread titled "oft Matza in the Ar HaShulchan...", regarding how to measure a kezayis of matza, R' Meir Rabi wrote:

> The Acharonim say that Matza which is bendy and soft like a
> sponge - Racha VeAsuYa KeSeFog, need not be compressed.

That is true, but I do not understand why.

MB 208:48 and Igros Moshe O"C 1:71 say that (although the minhag is otherwise) one ought to count only the flour towards the kezayis for a bracha acharona, and not the other ingredients. It seems very simple to me that if we should not count the sugar and eggs, then we certainly should not be counting the air, which is even less relevant.

I posted a longer version of this question on these pages three years ago, in Avodah 25:132
(http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/vol25/v25n132.shtml#05), but it got no answers, so I hope it is okay to ask it again: If a piece of cake, which is exactly a kezayis but only if we include the honey, should preferably *not* get an Al Hamichya, then why is it okay to be yotzay Achilas Matza on a piece which is exactly a kezayis but only if we include the air?

(If anyone offers an answer which includes a comment about how the air holes are tiny and negligible, please make sure to include an explanation of why the honey disqualifies the kezayis of cake even if it too is of a very small amount, i.e., less noticable than the sponginess of the matza.)

Akiva Miller