[Avodah] Molad Alert

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 11:54:08 PST 2011

<<I agree. But then why do we announce it? Is it to reassure us that Rosh
Chodesh is on a day that makes sense? Or what?>>

There is a debate among rishonim about the validity of the calendar of
Hillel II.
Did they declare in advance the kiddush of every month or do the Jews of EY
do the
kiddush today as representatives of the entire nation. RYBS postulates that
announcing the time of the molad and our prayers are the re-enactment of the
kiddush hachodesh by bet din in each synagogue

--
Eli Turkel