[Avodah] Tum'as Yadayim -- who was gozeir?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Feb 18 08:44:45 PST 2011

I thought the gezeira that the unwatched unwashed hand is tamei dated
all the way back to Shelomo (Shabbos 14b).

This morning I was learning Sunday's daf Y-mi, and the topic got to the
laws passed the day Beis Shammai dominated the head count in Chanania
ben Chizqyiah ben Garon [sic]'s attic -- Shabbos 1:4, vilna 9a-b.
Top of 9b, second word, "vehayadayim". Qorban ha'Eidah explains it
as "lefei shayadayim asqanos heim..." Isn't this Shelomo's gezeira?

Similarly, the gezeira that a baal qeri shouldn't learn Torah was by
Anshei Keneses haGdolah -- but that was ein hatzibbur yachol laamod bah
(mishnah on Shabbos 20b, c.f. 22a).

(Pause: The typical baal qeri couldn't handle refraining from learning.
Wow! Back to the subject...)

Y-mi 8a lists "halakhos baal qeri".

I'm wondering what these halakhos are, in contrast to the failed gezeira
that well predates Batei Hillel veShammai.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             The fittingness of your matzos [for the seder]
micha at aishdas.org        isn't complete with being careful in the laws
http://www.aishdas.org   of Passover. One must also be very careful in
Fax: (270) 514-1507      the laws of business.    - Rav Yisrael Salanter