[Avodah] R Chiya Rabba

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 06:59:57 PST 2011

<<As I understand him, the CI (YD, Hilkhos Tereifos 5:3; Yevamos 57:3)
is saying there was an exact time of transition from the era of Torah
to the era of Geulah. That's different than saying that time was the
year 4000 AM on the nose. Just as the year 2000 AM (in a chronology the
CI would accept) doesn't mark any notable event I'm aware of -- Migdal
Bavel was 1996 AM, Noach dies in 2006, Beris Bein haBesarim is 2018.>>

I just have trouble with the concept that R Chiya could disagree with Rebbe
one day but not the following day.258)

Reminds of the discussion about the halachic dateline where most poskim say
we don't take 90 degrees (according to that shita) from Jerusalem because
that would
imply that two halves of a house are in different days. Rather we extend the
time
zone to the end of the land mass.

On a slightly different matter I looked again  Hilchatit Refuit by Dr.
Steinberg (vol 2 p258)
He brings the gemara  Bechorot44b and Yevamot 75b that the male has 2 parts
for semen and urine while modern anatomy claims they combine. CI (Even
Haezer 15:7) claims
that nishtane hateva while in Peer Hador vol 4 p142 it seems that CI held
this
was a physical change and not just a halachic rationalization.

Note that in other cases various rishonim already use nishtane hateva to
change halachot from the days of chazal

--
Eli Turkel