[Avodah] Q re last night's RYReisman shiur

Poppers, Michael MPoppers at kayescholer.com
Sun Jan 9 08:04:19 PST 2011

This past motzoei Shabbos, RYReisman riffed off "rippinu es Bavel v'lo nirpasah" (Yirmiyahu 51:9) to speak about n'qudos (three types: (a) d'geishim (b) dots on top of words in Chumash (c) vowels, e.g. chiriq and tzeireh) as well as the special quality of the yud.  He quoted Rabbeinu Bachyei on a rafeh evoking l'shon rakkah & a malei evoking l'shon qasheh (re (a)) and re his'or'rus (re (b)) and then spoke of the "oneness" of the n'qudah.  I understood how hQbH's "ani H' rof'echa" (fei/rafeh) evokes His midas rachamim (a complete healing which doesn't cause other problems, unlike human healing which hurts other body parts as part of healing one part) and the dramatic lessons we can learn from the words and phrases Ezra haSofeir pointed with dots (e.g. the Minchas Elazar on "lanu ulvaneinu" referring to the chasadim we keep from others not being hidden from baneinu), but if the n'qudah represents "oneness," shouldn't words which represent how H' operates accordingly _have_ d'geishim rather than be rafeh?

Gut Voch/Shavua Tov and all the best from
-- Michael Poppers via BB pager