[Avodah] People of the E-Book? Observant Jews Struggle With Sabbath in a Digita

Hankman salman at videotron.ca
Wed Jan 5 09:21:29 PST 2011

RSM wrote:
 However the image
on your computer monitor will remain in place until a person actively
is involved in its mechika

The writing on the computer screen disappears automatically without
anybody being actively involved in its mechika, and this is an inherent
property of the medium (unlike your attempted analogy to writing on a
box filled with dynamite).

CM responds:

Your response seems to contradict itself from one sentence to the next, I presume you mean a monitor or screen with the difference being with or without a screen-saver. But, programming the computer to bring up a screen-saver is not an inherent property of the medium it is an active involvement. My analogy (if I recall) was the similarity of your case of screen-saver to programming the dynamite to blow up, neither of which are the inherent property of the medium (screen or box).

Kol tuv

Chaim Manaster