[Avodah] The [Lubavitcher] Rebbe Joined the Banquet - Video

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jan 5 09:47:47 PST 2011

On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 12:27:28PM -0500, Zev Sero wrote:
> "Before the passing of the Rebbe, I included myself among those who believe
> that the Rebbe was worthy of being Moshiach. And I strongly believe that had
> we, particularly the Orthodox community, been united, we would have merited
> to see the complete Redemption."
>
> That's pretty clear.  At the time we are discussing, which is *before*
> the "messianist" movement (i.e. the belief in a Moshiach from the Next
> World) arose, not only did all L believe that the LR was the person in
> this generation who would be Moshiach if we merited it, but so did RAS.
> There was nothing strange about such a belief.  And "Yechi..." at that
> time was a tefillah that he should recover and live to be Moshiach.
> So the Rebbe's apparent approval for it at that time can't be taken as
> proof that it's still appropriate after his passing.

See my onlist reply, where I quote that and the next sentence, and show
how it doesn't say that.

It says that RMMS would qualify, but we didn't qualify to have a messiah.
Thus, saying RMMS was even bechezqas mashiach (like that's a distinct
halachic state, rather than a chazaqah of a halachic state) is in
disagreement with what he said. And in fact, explicitly puts himself in
the camp of disagreeers when he berates those in that camp who take it
beyond honest machloqes.

You shifted the grounds of what you assert RAS supported before RMMS's
death. Your claim on list was
    At the time, of *course* all Ls believed he would be, or at least
    was very likely to be Moshach -- as did many non-Ls, including RAS.
Not worthiness, not even "might" but "very likely would be", or even
"would be" without any hedging with "likely".

But in any case, RAS coulnd't agree with "Yechi" because he didn't believe
that RMMS's worthiness sufficient cause for him to be mashiach. Necessary,
but not sufficient.

Micha Berger                 Time flies...
micha at aishdas.org                    ... but you're the pilot.
http://www.aishdas.org                       - R' Zelig Pliskin
Fax: (270) 514-1507