[Avodah] halachos of tahara

Chana Luntz Chana at Kolsassoon.org.uk
Mon Jan 3 08:28:43 PST 2011

RMB writes:

> RMF allows counting the rank and file C or R Jew towards a minyan, on
> the grounds that they are tinoqos shenishbe'u. The Satmar Rav would not
> count them, but I think that for most of us participating in an email
> discussion, the Igeros Moshe carries the day.

No, he allowed the rank and file (but not the rabbinate) to be given aliyos
on (quasi) tinuk shenisbu grounds (Iggeros Moshe Orech Chaim
chelek 3 siman 12).  Regarding counting in a minyan, he did not distinguish,
but allowed it generally, on the grounds that as the concept of minyan is
learnt from the meraglim, and you cannot get a greater example of rashaim
gamurim than the meraglim, even rashaim gamurim and ovdei ovoda zara can be
counted in a minyan (Orech Chaim chelek 1 siman 23).  This is sui generis to
Rav Moshe (the more general position of those who allow such counting is, as
you say, based on tinuk shenishbeu).

> Tir'u baTov!
> -Micha

Regards