[Avodah] psak and rationality

Isaac Balbin Isaac.Balbin at rmit.edu.au
Wed Sep 30 16:53:39 PDT 2009

On 01/10/2009, at 9:23 AM, avodah-request at lists.aishdas.org wrote:

> The CI is used by RHSchachter to permit the use of toledos hachamah
> for
> non-bishul <g> on Shabbos. It wasn't derekh bishul during the
> millennia
> of Torah, so it's not derekh bishul even in the days where a dud
> shemesh
> is common.

I heard RHS explain that both RMF and the Rav, RYDS, both held that
where Toledos HaChamah is from a device specifically manufactured for
this purpose that even though such a device wasn't at Har Sinai, it's
now a "bishul device" where companies make a comfortable profit from
such a device and should be assur. He mentioned that some argued with
RMF and RYDS and said "it wasn't at Sinai" but that RMF & RYDS stood
by their views.