[Avodah] RH/sour/sharp/bitter

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Wed Sep 16 05:53:51 PDT 2009

R' Saul Newman wrote:
> i wonder also if it is becoming more prevalent to  bring back
> the simanim of the gmara. i know chabad only does apple/honey,
> but i have a feeling more people are resuming the other
> simanim.

R' Zev Sero responded:
> Resuming?  When did they drop it?  The series of yehi ratzons
> printed in siddurim would seem to indicate that they never did.

Good point, but here's an argument from the other side: If everyone had been doing so many of them all along, the apple would never have gotten the fame and prominence that it currently enjoys. One of the 7 minim would have been the fruit to get the bracha Haetz.

My bet (based on R' Micha Berger's comment) is that in many times and places, the apple was the only one available (or the only one *consistently* available), and thus became the "traditional" fruit to use.

Akiva Miller