[Avodah] RH/sour/sharp/bitter

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Sep 15 11:22:47 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 08:37:36AM -0700, Saul.Z.Newman at kp.org wrote:
: i wonder also if it is becoming more prevalent to  bring back the  simanim
: of the gmara. i know chabad only does apple/honey, but i have a feeling
: more people are resuming the other  simanim.

I think it is, and for a simple reason -- the world shrunk, and many
more things can be affordably imported.

There is also a trend in some circles toward new simanim. We discussed
here before the half a raisin on celery wrapped in lettuce (let us have
a raise in salary). Another, posted on scjm by Wendy Baker (RJJB's
mother) was to use thin noodle (the kind generally used in lokshin soup)
for a yehi ratzon for success in one's diet. (I guess NOT Atkins <g>.)

This make about as much sense as carrots did the first generations they
were used, relying on a Yiddish pun on "merrin" (carrot / more). The
only real difference is the rise of the liberal movements that make us
shy away from creative new ritualizing.

: one can envision  3  seder plates---  pesach , RH , and  tu bishvat....

R' Yaakov Emden branded Chemdas haYamim a Sabbatean text, attributing it
to Nathan of Gaza (the Elijah figure in Shabbetai Tzevi's court). Current
academic consensus agrees that it reflects a Sabbatean slant. Chemdas
haYamim includes a text which is the origin of the Tu biShvat seder,
called (the text, not the seder) "Peri Eitz Hadar". It is also the source
for saying LeDavid twice a day this time a year.

We discussed this last February, when RMCohen wanted to find a copy of
Peri Eitz Hadar and why it only says to drink 2 cups but modern guides
say 4.
http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/getindex.cgi?section=T#TU%20BI%20SHVAT%20SEDER

Sociologically speaking, I find people using the word "seider" for RH
dinner. That said, having a list of rituals with no particular *order*
can't really be called a *seder*.

Micha Berger             Man is a drop of intellect drowning in a sea
micha at aishdas.org        of instincts.
http://www.aishdas.org                         - Rav Yisrael Salanter
Fax: (270) 514-1507