[Avodah] RHS and dairy

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Sep 14 03:05:42 PDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 01:32:43AM -0400, T613K at aol.com wrote:
:                                          I thought the definition of
: "treifah" was that the animal had suffered a disease or injury that rendered it
: non-viable -- that it would soon die.  If this puncture leaves the cow
: alive, healthy, and producing milk for many years, I just don't understand how
: it could possibly be considered "treifah."

The definition of a tereifah is an animal that that one of a speific
list of mumim. The CI says it's halakhah leMoshe miSinai, and R' Moshe
Feinstein agrees.

OTOH, in the contet of whether someone is guilty of murder, a mum is
only one the victim couldn't have otherwise recovered from.

See the threads:
http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/getindex.cgi?section=C#CHAZON%20ISH%20ON%20NATURE
http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/getindex.cgi?section=K#KILLING%20A%20TREIFA
both of which are in vol 8, the digests numbered in the 60s.

Micha Berger             "I think, therefore I am." - Renne Descartes
micha at aishdas.org        "I am thought about, therefore I am -
http://www.aishdas.org   my existence depends upon the thought of a
Fax: (270) 514-1507      Supreme Being Who thinks me." - R' SR Hirsch