[Avodah] YT Sheini Shell Golah and the Internet

rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 14:21:30 PDT 2009

Zev Sero:
> But there's no sevara that a
> Ben-Bavel can move to a new location and suddenly keep one day!

Let's say "Ein hachi nami" -- and so if that is the case

Then anyone [even when IN EY] who cannot trace their lineage to 358 CE
must perforce keep 2 days. Since they lack any exemption!

Which AIUI contravenes hacham Zvi and Minhag Chabad about instant one
day upon arrival @ Lod.

Also since my family has not lived in Bavel arguably for 1,000 the psaq
is inapplicable! The gzeira -- if really construed narrowly -- applies
only to Iraq and Persia

If construed broadly, then all the other parameters -- including Those
that Zev persists upon pasqening a fundamentalist read --
are also subject to svara and not fundamentalism

IOW mah nafshach! stick either to narrow philology or to Halachic Svaros!

And since We KNOW the svara-principle of maqom magiin underlies this
g'zeiro; Therefore there is no reason NOT to apply it!.

Of course A bona fide poseiq may override it with other
meta-considerations. But I don't see any lamdus that Forces us to pretend
that maqom magiin is not the underlying dynamic for the perimeter or
1 day vs. 2! Now If you say the Rambam rejects it fine. Maybe he made
another g'zeira based upon other criteria which begs the question what
criteria is that?

Shana Tova
RRW
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile