[Avodah] YT Sheini Shell Golah and the Internet

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Sep 11 12:55:05 PDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 03:50:14PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
: Huh?  Who said that?  Of course we will go back to doing it al pi
: re'iyah, as soon as we can.

That depends if even in the late bayis sheini era "al pi re'iyah" was
instead of calculation. It depends what is meant by the gemara about
beis din not convening so as to prevent eidim from coming early
when they want a chodesh malei. It seems to imply that by that point,
al pi re'iyah was part of the qiyum hamitzvah, not a birur when to
do it.

So, it could well be that we both produce a more precise calendar AND go
al pi re'iyah. Or, since we need human intervenetion each month, we put
in a one-time correction to the calendar and accept eidim based on that
adjustment to Hillel's calendar.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             A person lives with himself for seventy years,
micha at aishdas.org        and after it is all over, he still does not
http://www.aishdas.org   know himself.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            - Rav Yisrael Salanter