[Avodah] who is to blame??; re:moshe rabeinu and Eretz Yisrael????

Liron Kopinsky liron.kopinsky at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 07:35:18 PDT 2009

I heard a pshat about this once, that Moshe, as a member of Bnei Yisrael,
really deserved to be excluded from going into Israel after the Egel
Hazahav, however due to the fact that he hadn't done anything deserving of
punishment, the punishment on the masses didn't fall on him.
Once he messed up, Hashem applied the same punishment to him.

This means that if BY hadn't messeed up with the golden calf, Moshe's
punishment would have been something entirely different.

Another possibility is that Moshe's sin was saying "Mamrim Heyitem" and
getting upset at BY. If not for their behavior warranting this outburst from
Moshe, he wouldn't have been punished - eventhough Hashem expected more of
Moshe and to not let the anger show.

Kol Tuv,
~Liron