[Avodah] Acharonim (and Mussar) as TT, Redux

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Sep 9 12:38:24 PDT 2009

I'm inclined to agree with RAM. Talmud Torah is defined by the ameilus,
not the content. I therefore would define Torah for the sake of talmud
Torah in terms of what the person is immersing himself in.

Nefesh haChaim IV opens (first 4 peraqim or so) that a person immersed
in Torah has a mind that is purified, shaleim, causes tiqunei olam,
and his ratzon becomes unified with HQBH. The contrapositive would tell
us that any and only ameilus which purifies the soul is talmud Torah.

Micha Berger             Rescue me from the desire to win every
micha at aishdas.org        argument and to always be right.
http://www.aishdas.org              - Rav Nassan of Breslav
Fax: (270) 514-1507                   Likutei Tefilos 94:964