[Avodah] Boruch She'amar

Arie Folger arie.folger at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 14:20:43 PDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Cantor Wolberg <cantorwolberg at cox.net>wrote:
> *Hilchos Pesukei D'zimrah**
> *
> Why do we hold 2 tzitzis in front instead of all four?

This is according to the teachings of the Ari, who divides prayer up
until the 'amida into 4 parts, drawing up from the realm of
'Assiya,Yetzira, Beriya and 'Atzilut. Pessuqei deZimra corresponds to
Yetzira. Likewise, reliving ourselves and washing up upon arising
corresponds to 'Assiya, donning tzitzit to Yetzira, tefillin shel yad
to Beriya and tefillin shel rosh to 'Atzilut.

Hence, when entering 'Yetzira in speech, Lurianic kabbalists suggested
holding the action-symbol of that realm, the tzitzit.

The above practice is, AFAIK, unconnected to holding and kissing
tzitzit during the recitation of the Shema', which is a much older and
more controversial practice.

And while I have not seen any communities where tzitzit are generally
not held during the Shema', the same is not true of the practice of
holding them during Barukh She-Amar, which is practiced widely, but
not universally.
--
Arie Folger,
Latest blog posts on http://ariefolger.wordpress.com/