[Avodah] Laughing at one who does a mitzvah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Sep 2 10:36:30 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 3:03:39AM +0000, kennethgmiller at juno.com wrote:
: This evening I was reminded of a halacha in Kitzur Shulchan Aruch (15:5)
: that one should not answer Kaddish too loudly, because people might laugh
: at him for this, and he'd thereby be causing them to sin. (Mishne Brurah
: 56:5 says the same thing.)

: I soon found myself recalling other examples which support or go
: against this idea: One may wear shoes on Tisha B'Av, if one walks among
: non-Jews who would laugh at us. (Rama 554:17 and Mishne Brurah 554:34)

: But in contrast, the very first Rama in Orach Chaim 1:1 tells us, "Don't
: be embarrassed by people who laugh at someone for his Avodas Hashem."