[Avodah] a womans places is in the home

Yitzhak Grossman celejar at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 17:08:12 PDT 2009

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 14:39:37 +0300
Eli Turkel <eliturkel at gmail.com> wrote:

[quoting me]

> How about Gittin 12a?  The Gemara there clearly understands it to imply
> that a woman's place is in the home, so this is not, as you seem to
> think, some sort of recent derash. >>
>

> lost the relevance.
> The gemara is saying that one can't expect a woman to go to a strange city
> and find a job. Certainly until recently women did not travel by themselves=
>  and work in strange places.
> What has that to do with staying home all day and not going out.

If you peruse the context of the thread, you'll see that I was merely
responding to RnSB's claim that "kol kevudah" refers to internal beauty
of the soul, as opposed to an outer layer of riches, and she
challenged us to provide a source for the interpretation that implies
that "a woman's place is in the home".

The exact extent of the sort of gallivanting the Gemara is
disparaging is, of course, debatable.

Yitzhak
--
Bein Din Le'din - http://bdld.info - *** Note change of address ***