[Avodah] Lo Plug

rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 08:15:15 PDT 2009

RET:
> To my mind one of the strangest gezerot is that of Rabbah not to blow
> shofar when RH fals on shabbat (as this year) and so we dont keep shofar
> from the Torah and similarly in EY there will be no lulav on yomtov

IIRC Rabbah made no such gzeira!

Follow Wolpoe's rule #1

In Megillah the Gmara deduced there is no Megillah on Shabbas and uses
Rabba's S'vara to explain it

I need to review inside but I suspect that is true of Shofar and Lulav.
They were all axiomaticcally refrained from on Shabbas already. Then.
Rabbah only provided the WHY for a pre-existing WHAT. I suspect that
perhaps Rabbah's reason is not THE definitive reason.

FWIW The Y-lmi gives the passuq "zichron tru'ah" to explain no Shofar
on Shabbos - mashma d'oraisso or at least an asmachta.

KT
RRW
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile