[Avodah] psak of the Rambam

rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 08:02:15 PDT 2009

R' Eli Turkel:
> Just read an interesting article where the author shows that early in
> his career Rambam relied heavily on the psakim of the Gaonim. Later
> in life he severely attacked those who rely on the psak of the Gaonim
> without thinking in through and disagreed with many psakim of the Gaonim

Rabbi Kanarfogel wrote an article on progress and tradition in Ashkenaz

He quoted a Ri Migash who recommended that [most] rabbis ought to follow
Gaonic pesaq and NOT pasqen from Shas

Now obviously Ri Migash disregarded his own advice! One Hilluq is
obvious: to pasqen from Shas one needs to master all of Shas. But most
Rabbsi who lack such mastery ought to rely upon Gaonic secondary sources.

This hilluq explains the above Rambam! When young he relied upon
secondary sources, as he himself became a master, he went directly to
the original sources.

Re: The Rambam's method of using shaqla v'tarya, see Bach Even Ho'ezer 6.

If anyone knows the location of the GRA on the Rambam's method I would be
interested in more details. I'm told that Professor Feldblum published
an article saying much the same - but I have not seen that article either.

KT
RRW
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile