[Avodah] lo plog

Daniel Israel dmi1 at hushmail.com
Wed Aug 19 21:04:05 PDT 2009

Zev Sero wrote:
> AIUI "lo plug rabanan" doesn't mean that the rabanan *can't* make
> distinctions, but that they don't have to make every distinction that
> could conceivably be made.

I thought it was past tense, that is, "the Rabbanan didn't distinguish."
  The point being that this is an observation of what the Rabbanan
actually did, rather than the statement of a principle.  The Rabbanan
were able to establish gezeiros as they saw appropriate, and we are
simply observing the various cases of lo plug, where they didn't make a
distinction, and trying to postulate a rule.  Given that various
gezeiros were made by different rabbanan, it is not clear that there
needs to be one.

--
Daniel M. Israel
dmi1 at cornell.edu