[Avodah] Not livid with anger

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Aug 17 13:40:19 PDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 02:50:10PM -0400, David Riceman wrote:
: My impression is that the Rambam removes anger from his normal scheme of
: the golden mean because of "kol hako'es k'ilu oved avoda zara"...

Perhaps that's why the Rambam includes it in his list. But it's not
unique, he has 2 other exceptions: anavah (2:5) because Moshe is
"anav me'od"; ka'as (2:6), because "kol hako'eis", shetiqah (2:8) --
"veqol kesil berov devarim", and "siyag lechokhmah", etc...

Given the list of three, so resembling Pirqei Avos, I'm thinking there
is significance to the set as a set.

: >1- Is the yeitzer hatov defined as responding with thought, or as
: >responding with the right middos?

: Here is where it gets complicated, since you are trying to harmonize
: different opinions in mussar.  For the Rambam the yetzer hara is the ego
: (see MN I:2).

That wasn't really my instent. I was trying to spell out two differen
chiluqim: (1) an ideal of thought vs an ideal of having the right middos,
and (2) an ideal of the "right amount" WRT every middah vs declaring
ka'as and some other middos as being exceptions where the "right amount"
is zero.

(This then had a tangent about the OTz comparing "right amount" to a
recipe -- much more of some things than others, vs the Rambam's lifting
Aristo's notion about middles. More about that when I get to RDSchatz's
article. Speaking of whom -- I know him from the same aforementioned
shtiebl!)

My real problem is that I have a hard time accepting the usability of the
YHT = seichel approach. Where are ahavah, yir'ah and bitachon, anavah,
rachamim, chemlah, etc...? It is better not to develop the "opposing"
middah and rather be more calculating? Where's the passion?

I once argued that Avraham Avinu's "ha'af tispeh tzadiq im rasha" --
throwing out a rhetorical question in complaint to the TBSO (about Sedom
et al) was not only justifiable anger, but actually *laudible* anger at
the RBSO! (But recall that much of my position on how to respond to
tragedy was formed while in aveilus for a daughter, so some of it may
be self-justification.) A snippet from