[Avodah] wedding phrase; why turned up-side down???; yirmiyahu; ch 7;

Simon Montagu simon.montagu at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 07:10:04 PDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 12:55 AM, Harvey Benton <harveybenton at yahoo.com> wrote:

> the following is the text from machon-mamre.....the obvious text of the novi is that the voice.....kol sasson, vkol simcha, will be ceased, and the land desolate......why start off a wedding (sheva brachos) off with a klala like that???

Three teirutzim:

1) Miklal lav shom`im hen: the fact that the navi specifies the
ceasing of these voices as a kelala proves (if we needed proof) that
their presence is a beracha.

2) Tefilla and piyyut routinely use phrases from pesukim with no
concern for the original context. My favourite example: "sham yanuhhu
yegi`e koahh" in RYHL's "Yom Shabbaton". See Job 3:17
http://mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt2703.htm for the pasuk.

3) Jeremiah actually uses the phrase four times, three as kelala and
pur`anut and once as beracha and nehhama. At a wedding we are quoting
the last, 33:11 http://mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt1133.htm#11 -- note the
"`od yishama" in the previous verse. In fact, I will take this a step
further -- by quoting this verse we are recalling the whole context
from that perek, and linking the joy of the wedding to the hopes of
return from galut. In other words it is the flip side of reciting "Im
eshkahhech yerushalayim" when breaking the kos.