[Avodah] School Tuition + Fundraising

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Aug 10 12:29:53 PDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 05:50:22PM +0000, kennethgmiller at juno.com wrote:
: R' Rich Wolpoe asked about how many schools structure their fees:
: One simple example is an attempt to have a discount when a family has
: more than one child in the school. Some schools do that by offering an
: outright discount. Others charge full tuition for all students, but also
: imposing some other fee (such as the journal ad) upon the whole family
: only once...

It would be easier to publish as follows:
    1- First child: $x
    2- Second child: $y
    3- Third and subsequent children: $z
(Or perhaps 2 or 4 tiers, that's not the point.)
    4- Up to $300 can be paid off in vouchers.

That to my mind is yosher -- one is being very clear and up front about
charges, rather than burying it as a list of prices. But a half dozen
fees in the three digits hiding another couple to few thousand dollars?
Is there a reason other than trying to avoid putting a scary large number
in print?

I'm not saying wrong or assur, just that I agree with RRW that it doesn't
contribute to a culture of yosher.

Micha Berger             "Fortunate indeed, is the man who takes
micha at aishdas.org        exactly the right measure of himself,  and
http://www.aishdas.org   holds a just balance between what he can
Fax: (270) 514-1507      acquire and what he can use." - Peter Latham