[Avodah] Lecha Dodi

Akiva Blum ydamyb at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 04:13:58 PDT 2009

  _____

From: avodah-bounces at lists.aishdas.org [mailto:avodah-bounces at lists.aishdas.org]
On Behalf Of Cantor Wolberg
Sent: Sunday, August 09, 2009 7:02 PM
To: avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Subject: [Avodah] Lecha Dodi

Also, when turning to the entrance of the shul it is suggested that one turn
counterclockwise. That is, one should turn to Maariv via tzafon and return from
the west to Mizrach via Darom. Siddur Sha'ar Yisakhar (Brooklyn 1982), pg.103.
(It would probably take me a year to memorize all the intricate directions).

Excerpted from "The Encyclopedia of Jewish Prayer" by Macy Nulman (One of the
sweetest individuals I have ever known).

Do you recall, or know, why one would turn counter clockwise. The SA in hilchos
Birchas Kohanim (128:17) says they should turn to their right, which would be
clockwise. If the reason is because one always turns to the right (Taz), why
would this be any different?

Akiva