[Avodah] Halachah, Mussar, Qabbalah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Aug 9 18:55:37 PDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 07:05:20PM +0000, rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com wrote:
: This in no way means that Mussar and Qabbalah have no value! Aderabbah,
: they represent to me the Drash And Sod of Pardes! They are vital for
: a holistic Judaism

I argued that mussar is the peshat of Parde"s. Halakhah follows derashah
over peshat, where the two disagree. And as a few rishonim comment about
"ayin tachas ayin", the peshat is the mussar message, the derashah is the
halakhah. Which fits the role of the rest of Nakh, where we do not have
derashos, and the entire thesis is mussar. (With a couple of exceptions
where despite the kelal about not deriving halakhah from Nakh, we still
bring a pasuq from Nakh as a raayah for the din.)

Micha Berger             I slept and dreamt that life was joy.
micha at aishdas.org        I awoke and found that life was duty.
http://www.aishdas.org   I worked and, behold -- duty is joy.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Rabindranath Tagore