[Avodah] The Gra on Aleinu

David Riceman driceman at att.net
Wed Aug 5 15:03:56 PDT 2009

Micha Berger wrote:
> The Gra was a reference to his nusach for Aleinu. The more common nusach
> is "umoshav yeqaro bashamayim mimaal". The Gra objects, since "moshav
> yeqaro" is an anthropomorphication not found in Tanakh. He insists it
> must have been a shibush, since we do not make up our own metaphors for
> HQBH.

I was curious about the source for this, since I had also heard the same
explanation as RRW.  I found both explanations in Ma'aseh Rav haShalem.
The notes in Siddur Ezor Eliyahu, which purports to identify the Gaon's
nusah, say that both versions are found in early Ashkenazic siddurim,
and, indeed, points to Tur OH 133 which mentions both versions and
prefers umoshav yekaro.  The recent Siddur Maharal says that the old
Prague version was v'chisei kvodo.
> However, the Gra also takes the attribution of Aleinu to Yehoshua bin
> Nun quite seriously. He removed the addition at the end of Aleinu of
> "vene'emar, 'Vehayah H' leMelekh...'" from Zechariah, an addition that
> dates back to at the late geonim or early rishonim.
Is that really true? Siddur Ezor Eliyahu says that all early Ashkenazic
siddurim lack it (and that adding it is a Lurianic custom), and Siddur
Maharal says that the old Prague nusah lacked it.  Ma'aseh Rav haShalem
offers the explanation I had previously heard, that the passuk from
Zecharyah appears considerably later on in the Yamim Noraim nusah, in
addition to offering a variant of your explanation (attributing it to
Achan rather than Yehoshua).  What I didn't see is any evidence your
contention that the addition is early.  How do you know that?

David Riceman