[Avodah] A 9 Days Shower - The Navy to the Rescue?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Aug 4 03:05:24 PDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 09:37:09PM -0400, Michael Poppers wrote:
: I think the concept is, in the absence of mitzva-directed intent (e.g.
: k'vod Shabbos), to do without.  What RRW describes is not "doing without"
: but rather is the proper method for that place (minimizing water usage)...

But for you or I to shower that way would be to keep clean by 21st cent
standards while "doing without" more than the minimum necessary.

The definition of an istinis is someone who bathes daily. As RYBS noted, we
all qualify. I'm not sure how it can be argued, me'ikkar hadin, that
there is a problem showering. (In terms of the 9 Days. If someone else
wants to open a discussion of ecology and halakhah, that would be fine
-- but I don't know anything about the topic to be the one to do so.)

Micha Berger             Between stimulus & response, there is a space.
micha at aishdas.org        In that space is our power to choose our
http://www.aishdas.org   response. In our response lies our growth
Fax: (270) 514-1507      and our freedom. - Victor Frankl, (MSfM)