[Avodah] Kohen Gadol

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jul 31 13:36:51 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 03:07:26PM -0400, Cantor Wolberg wrote:
: R' Micha wrote:  It seems to me self evident, a huge statement about
: the relative importance of chessed.

: And not to allow him for his own immediate family IS chessed?

I'm not sure, but are you conflating the chessed the Torah calls upon
the KG to do for a meis mitzvah with the chessed the Torah doesn't do
for the KG?

What it shows is that the KG is expected to emulate his ancestor
"vayidom Aharon" when it comes to personal pain, but not be callous
when it comes to someone else's.

: Also, if he comes upon a meis, he could demonstrate his chessed by
: summoning another person.

If there was another person summonable, he would be obligated to do so
rather than do the burial himself.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             With the "Echad" of the Shema, the Jew crowns
micha at aishdas.org        G-d as King of the entire cosmos and all four
http://www.aishdas.org   corners of the world, but sometimes he forgets
Fax: (270) 514-1507      to include himself.     - Rav Yisrael Salanter