[Avodah] tisha baav as moed

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Fri Jul 31 06:43:53 PDT 2009

R' Eli Turkel wrote:
> Eichah 1:15
> karah alai moed lishbir bachurai(partial pasuk)
> Artscroll translates this as
> He proclaimed a set time against me to crush my young men
> nothing to do with any holidays

I agree that it seems to have nothing to do with holidays. At least, not on a simple, obvious, pshat level.

Yet the poskim clearly DO point to this pasuk! Why?

My guess: The navi could have used other words in this pasuk: "zman", "ays", "hayom", or others. But he didn't. He specifically used the word "moed". It was clear and understood by the author's contemporaries - and has since been passed on to us via oral tradition - that this word was chosen specifically because of the "holiday" connotation.

Akiva Miller