[Avodah] Tzeni'us and gender roles

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Tue Jul 21 11:37:29 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 7:36 PM, Chana Luntz<chana at kolsassoon.org.uk> wrote:
> Are you saying here that you think the Sifri is contradicting itself?
> Because the comment about the father being the toveah and us learning from
> this pasuk that the toveah speaks first is also on 22.17 (the Yalkut has the
> one comment virtually right after the other, the Sifri does separate them
> slightly, but not materially) - and that can only be a comment on the civil
> litigation bit of it.  (Of course, it is also a strange limud, because
> nowhere do we find the defendant speaking either, so how do we know that the
> toveah spoke first in this case).

I don't know. Ess chatooay ani mazkir hayoim: I am barely familiar
with Sifrei, having occasionally looked something up, or in one case,
really looked into one sugya. So I don't know whetehr we should assume
that there is no ma'hloqet in Sifrei, or whether there do exist
inconsistencies, which sometimes are the result of ma'hloqet.

Furthermore, from the one sugya I studied in depth in the Sifrei, I
learned that the issue of the correct girsa is not trivial.
Manuscripts would be welcome in resolving this. However, I am quite
sure that I properly portrayed Rashi's read of that Sifrei, and he
doesn't quote the other part.

--
Arie Folger,
Latest blog posts on http://ariefolger.wordpress.com/