[Avodah] Tzeni'us and gender roles

rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 09:18:27 PDT 2009

Dr. Shinnar:
> I fully understand the limitations of participation - it does not mean
> that everyone gets to do everything, and the particpatory model does
> have flaws in the shuls that adopt it - that there are people who
> daven who don't know nusach, etc.

My "attack" was on the "entitlement" attitude, i.e. the hashkafa, that
it's my "right" - as opposed to simply a privilege.

I know I have swallowed a lot of Americanism myself, but Torah Judaism
is not quite as democratic or as participatory as is The USA.

I would expect most Americans to see for example - Korach as a Patrick
Henry and Moshe as a King George III.

But was Jews we have to see the Yad Hashem behind this and override some
egalitarian predelictions - at least within the confines of our Avodah!

Let's take Dr. Shinar's case ad absurdum

We have a principle of merutza lekahal. Why not have a vote (not an
auction) for each chance at the amud? Or for aliyos? We could probably
even find sources that justify it.

Q: What's the alternative?

A: AISI -
1 WTG's simply side-step this problem entirely.

2 And separate youth minyanim can help train the next generation within
formal shuls.

For example - even Breuer's - which has hazzanim during Shabbos services -
neverthless has a hashkama minyan affords others the chance to aprticipate

KT
RRW
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile