[Avodah] Tzeni'us and gender roles

Meir Shinnar chidekel at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 19:58:56 PDT 2009

Both RRW and RKM suggested that the problem with my model of
participation as driving some of the current women's issues, is
problematic - because we can not participate in many aspects of avodat
hashem, such as birkat kohanim (RRW)  - and a definition
distinguishing proper participation from improper is whether one is
fit for it (RKM).
I fully understand the limitations of participation - it does not mean
that everyone gets to do everything, and the particpatory model does
have flaws in the shuls that adopt it - that there are people who
daven who don't know nusach, etc.  These are all real issues, but they
miss the fundamental point.
The driving impetus behind the Young Israel movement (which started as
the prototype participatory minyan - as distinct from a hazzan led
shul) - was not that everyone would duchen, or even just that everyone
would rotate davening musaf on yom kippur before the amud.   The issue
is that doing something - whether it is merely pticha , or an aliya,
or davening before the amud - increases one sense of avodat hashem and
of belonging to the minyan.  The level of participation clearly varies
- but there is some participation.

In essentially all Orthodox shuls, if one removed the women's section,
or if just no women came to shul, it would have no impact at all on
what goes on in the men's side and with davening - maybe some social
issues, but would not change anything that happens.  That means,
essentially, that the women's role in shul is essentially an extension
of their private role - they are there as private individuals, rather
than being part of the kahal (yes, I am aware of the different
opinions about whether the ezrat nashim counts as part of the shul,
and issues of answering to different tefilot - and even possibly kiyum
of mitzvot - but on a practical level, they are not perceived as part
of the kahal).

What this means is that for many women therefore do not feel any need
to come to shul - this is both in many haredi communities, where there
is no expectation for them to come - but even in MO - where there is a
social expectation, and the religious training is that they should
come to shul.  For sure, there is no sense that the shul serves as the
outlet for religious expression of the public person.

Some Orthodox shuls have instituted a limited amount of participation
- whether it is carrying the sefer torah near the ezrat nashim for
them to touch, carrying it through it, allowing women to say kaddish
(either by themselves, as permitted by RYBS, or with a man, as
permitted by RYE Henkin), etc - but it is still a very limited amount.

The issue I am raising is not what the proper solution is - I am aware
of the problems with many of the solutions.  The issue I am raising is
recognition of what the problem is - today, people are not willing to
be actively engaged in an institution that does not offer them any
outlet for participation -but only as  spectators.  This means that
the shul does not function as the religious expression of the public
personae of the women.  The failure to recognize this has long term
consequences.

Finally, RMB raises the issues of tzeniut as a problem - arguing for a
model of tzeniut wherein any public role is automatically a violation
of tzeniut - and then we judge whether there is a reason for the
violation of tzeniut.  I, as well as others (RCL far more ably and
more scholarly, RTK (if I and RTK agree on something.....)) view this
model of tzeniut as being a radical innovation, without any basis (and
RMB has still not provided any basis) which is actually opposed to
traditional Jewish values - which makes further discussion difficult,
as RMB wishes to protect a value that is not recognized as such by the
rest of us.  However, even with the model of tzeniut that RMB raises,
the issue becomes one of justification - violations of RMB tzeniut may
be acceptable if there is sufficient good that comes from that.

He argues that the changes in the workplace - have led to changes in
kol kvuda bat melekh pnima (and I would agree).  he also argues that
this is a violation of anava - and here I (and others) disagree -
viewing this as being created out of thin air..  however, he is not
arguing for a change in the workplane - but rather, that no changes
take place in avodat hashem - and therefore arguing that there be no
correspondence between the inner and outer - that halacha should have
no form of expression of the changed status and role - which is
essentially writing their lives out of the community - and this is a
profoundly anti halachic, anti mussar viewpoint.  What the changes
should be is, again, a different issue - but that there should be no
correspondence is something that we must reject as ovde hashem.  Even
with his utilitarian model, the damage from no recognition is large.

Meir Shinnar