[Avodah] best v. worst;

Simon Montagu simon.montagu at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 14:25:30 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 2:01 PM, <harveybenton at yahoo.com> wrote:

> imo...
> 1. the Worst that can happen if someone drives on shabbas is .......being
> mechalel shabbas!! (mi'doiraisa).
> 2. The Best that can happen if someone attends a shabbas meal (in the
> short-term) is 1. making kiddush (mi'dirabannan), 2. a woman/women lighting
> shabbas candles (if they get there early enuf (also mi'dirabbonan); 3.
> breaking bread with family/friends and making a bracha on the bread
> (midirobonnon) and; 4. benching (mi'dirabbon as to the exact loshon...)
>
> Imo, if we examine the best case v. the worst case of having invites
> over......the conclusion should be clear that it is best to avoid having
> another jew make an aveira (midoraisa) versus possible benefits of
> midorobbana mitzvas at best....

As you say -- this in the short term. In the long term, the best that can
happen is that they could be influenced to become shomrei shabbat
themselves. I hesitate to draw a direct parallel to the principle behind
pikuah-nefesh "Mehhalelin `alav shabbat ahhat kedei sheyishmor shabbatot
harbe", but it's a point to consider.