[Avodah] Tzeni'us and gender roles

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jul 14 09:12:18 PDT 2009

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 22:52:45 GMT, RAM wrote <kennethgmiller at juno.com>:
: On first reading, I found myself in total agreement. But if so, then
: what are the gender role differences mentioned in the subject line of
: this thread?

I would argue that they're a product of men having more conflicts that
override tzeni'us. And going beyond the ideal into the real, the number
of conflicts created so many exceptions in men's lives that we developed
a tendency to ignore tzeni'us overly often even in other contexts.

: If I'm not mistaken, Chazal say somewhere that "derech haish lachzor
: achar haishah", and specifically not the other way around. What I've
: learned from my Torah teachers is that it is normal for men to be on
: the outgoing side, and for women to be more inward...

It's not just "outgoing", it's "outgoing achar ha'ishah". WADR to your
teacher, it sounds more like "guys are more likely to initiate flirting
than women".

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 04:30:55 GMT he continues:
: This halacha, that when a man is asked to be chazan, he should initially
: decline, is well-known. But the reason for it is not so clear, and I'd
: like to suggest that it is NOT because of tznius.

: This halacha is in the Mechaber, Orach Chayim 53:16 - "One who is
: not the Shatz Kavua (regular chazan) has to decline somewhat before
: going to the amud..." The Be'er Hagolah gives the source as Brachos 34,
: which seems to be a reference to the very first lines of the new gemara
: near the top of 34a: "A braisa: One who goes to the amud has to refuse;
: and if he does not refuse, he is domeh l'tavshil she'ain bo melach (he
: is like a cooked food which has no salt)." I don't recall hearing this
: phrase ("l'tavshil she'ain bo melach") before; perhaps it means that he
: has acted in poor taste?

Actually, the Orchos Tzadiqim uses the metaphor of meat vs melakh vs
other tavlin as a means of illustrating the balance between middos.
Some, like anavah, are like meat. Others are better in smaller amounts.
It's a more nuanced metaphor than placing everything on the middah
habeinonis (Hil' Dei'os 1:4).

Simiilarly the AhS, which RAM translated as:
: Aruch Hashulchan OC 53:15 ... adds this interesting point: "But for
: something which involves sh'rirus (leadership), then one should decline a
: bit even when a gadol is doing the asking, since the declining will give
: the impression (d'hasiruv hu mipnei she'yisraeh) that perhaps he is not
: fit for the task (d'oolai aino ra'ui l'kach), and this is good manners
: (v'hu haderech eretz)."

Very much a navigation of conflicting goals, the proper middah of
tzeni'us (or anavah, see below) vs. other needs. As per the mashal of
tavshil she'ein bo melakh. I actually see these as MAKING my point
(really: my understanding of RHS's point), not refuting it.

: Thus, I'd like to suggest that when a person declines the honor of
: being offered the amud, it is NOT because of tznius, but because of
: simple humility. Humility (anavah) and modesty (tznius) are very similar,
: but they are not identical.

The line is subtle, and probably the subject of machloqes. My own opinion
is that tzeni'us is not drawing attention to oneself, more of a mode of
interaction with others, whereas anavah is realizing that one is part
of Hashem's bigger plan rather than thinking I'm in charge. (Thus the
connection to other ayin-nun words like answering, reacting, etc...)

But the line isn't my point. Whether it's an issue of tzeni'us or of
anavah, it would still mean that accomodating feminist aspirations in
the synagogue is actually enabling the further spread of middos that
don't fit the Torah's ideal.

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 23:52:49 EDT, R Joseph Kaplan <jkaplan at tenzerlunin.com>
replied to my earlier post:
:> "Again (although I think RJK submitted this before seeing my recent post),
:> I think you're conflating the real with the ideal."

: Not conflation; I don't believe it's the ideal.  If it were really
: the ideal, then you'd see it in practice somewhere...

Similarly, on Sun, 12 Jul 2009 00:16:43 EDT, R Dr Meir Shinnar