[Avodah] R Tzadok-TSBP

rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 14:40:51 PDT 2009

> One doesn't need a theory of everything, but if one wants to gain the
> most possible from the performance of mitzvos means a theory that
> (1) gives meaning to as much of what I do as possible (measured in hours
> and effort, not number of dinim) and (2) gives me a mission statement I
> can actually encompass.

> It's that that makes me believe that HQBH made it possible for us to get
> pretty close to a Grand Unified Pi'el Theory.
> -Micha

As Micha has posted elsewhere tofasta merubah lo tofasto

Certain rabbanim used induction for a unified field theory and then
tried to fit square pegs into round holes to make the theory work across
the board.

No one is denying certain recurring themes but one size won't fit all

Lemashal look at rachamim, kan tzippor etc. Where applying a meta middah
of rachamim can be mamash assur!

Hinuch shows how the Torah teaches us compassion and sensitivity, but
then when he has to deal with wiping out Amaleik and the shiva ammim -
frankly wadr - the rationalizations fall short of the mark.

Why not punt and say the Torah at times demands Chessed and at other
times demands Gevurah (a Qabbalistic approach)

Or there is a time for everything - an Ecclesistical (pun) approach

Those who say it's all about X are distilling the Torah too far.

Even Hillel's one-legged statement ends with the caveat - "Zil Gmor!" Iow
any encapsulation does not do the Torah Justice w/o further learning!

GS
RRW
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile