[Avodah] Challenge: Finding Spirituality w/o Qabbalah

rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 19:58:13 PDT 2009

Re: Hovos Halevavos

I have recently restarted it. (FWIW I'm using the "Lev tov" edition)
Like the Rambam, he lays out what he is doing in a very sensible,
orderly package.

Just reading it adds clarity to my thinking and yishuv da'as. I don't
know if this is mamash spirituality itself, but it sure ENABLES
spirituality.
And So perhaps we would better call it "hechsher" spirituality.
:-)

AISI This is slightly more than just inspiration. It also serves to
clean out some internal cobwebs.

On a total tangent, many years ago I tried my own preparation for
Shabbos. Instead of Tehiilim or the Traditional Shir Hashirim, I read
about 3 chapters of Mishlei "meditatively".

I cannot say I got a spiritual "high" but it did clear my mind before
Mincha. I think HhL does something similar for me.

Maybe Mishlei is the intellectual's alternative to Tehillim?

KT
RRW
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile