[Avodah] Challenge: Finding Spirituality w/o Qabbalah

Simon Montagu simon.montagu at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 11:11:08 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 7:13 AM, <rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com> wrote:

> My friend's thesis is that Judaism w/o Qabbalah or Hassidus is mechanical
> and lifeless.
>
> And so he challenged me as follows: To List aspects of Jewish Spirituality
> that were devoid of Qaballah or Hassidus.

Discussions of this kind inevitably degenerate into the "no true Scotsman"
argument http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman.
Especially in this case where your friend has two options for any example
produced: he can reject it either as not true Jewish Spirituality or as not
truly devoid of Kabbala/Hhasidut.