[Avodah] Tosfot (not)

David Riceman driceman at att.net
Wed Jul 8 10:30:48 PDT 2009

Me:
> : IIRC Urbach discusses the composition and transmission of the
> printed : Tosafos in chapters one and thirteen of his book Baalei
> HaTosafot.

RMB (seconded by RJR)
> Given that few people have the book, isn't this just a tease?

If more battei midrash would buy scholarly books it would save wear and
tear on my bank account and clutter in my study.  Anyway here goes (I'm
translating from the fourth edition Mossad Bialik, Jerusalem, 5740):

"Up to the beginning of Hebrew printing [different communities] used
different tosafot.  In Italy it seems Tosafot R. Peretz were widespread,
in Germany <Ashkenaz> Tosafot Tuch (Touque), and in Spain Tosafot
HaRosh.  There were also other collections <Tosafot yeshanim> of Tosafot
including the Ri, the Rivam, R. Yosef, Tosafot Shantz (Sens), R. Judah
of Paris, R. Baruch, and others.  As we explained, later tosafot
replaced <dahaku> earlier tosafot." p. 28

"There are few manuscripts of Talmud which include tosafot.  To the
extent that they have survived they include our tosafot [the tosafot
printed in the standard editions of Shas].  Tosafot Berachot was first
printed in 5244 in Soncino by R. Yehoshua Shlomo, and they are the first
printed tosafot, since the printed fragments of Talmud from Spain
include neither Rashi nor tosafot.  R. Yehoshua Shlomo's nephew, the
famous printer R. Gershom Soncino, printed until 5279, and claimed that
he printed 23 tractates including tosafot.  He says about their source:
"I found manuscripts which had been hidden and sealed until now, and I
revealed them to the eye of the sun, may they shine like the firmament,
like Tosafot Tuch of Ri and RT.  I travelled to France and Chambery and
Zenobra (Genevra) to their ancestors' rooms to benefit the multitudes,
because in Spain and Italy and the neighboring lands <kol ha'aratzot> we
have only the tosafot of Shantz, of R. Peretz, R. Shimshon, and their
colleagues." <snip> It was he who selected the tosafot for most of the
tractates of the Talmud, and the later printers of the Talmud followed
his precedent." pp. 29-30

The bottom line is that unprinted tosafot were hard and expensive to find.

Incidentally in chapter 13 he goes through the printed tosafot of each
tractate and identifies their source.

David Riceman