[Avodah] validity of ketubahs if .....

rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 08:49:21 PDT 2009

RTK:
> I don't understand your question. It's the same in all legal systems,
> very much including America. If you put your signature to a contract
> or any legal document, the contract is binding. Your later claim that
> you didn't understand what you were signing or that you were in too much
> of a hurry to read it won't get you out of it...

As posted by IIRC Zev, another poster, and I:

The basic terms of kesubbah are t'nai BD

Even in USA some constitutional rights may not be waived by contract

Similarly a kesubbah has involuntary components imposed by Halachah

AIUI there are some optional components, too.

Also AIUI a woman may not be mocheles her kessubos rights (although iirc
the Gmara has a few loopholes).

So a kesubbah is NOT really a free will agreement between 2 parties.
Much of its terms are imposed EVEN if written incorrectly or not written
at all.

KT
RRw
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile