[Avodah] RSRH on Hallel

Yitzchok Levine Larry.Levine at stevens.edu
Wed Sep 30 15:54:51 PDT 2009

Everyone is aware that on Succos we say Hallel everyday.  RSRH in his
commentary on Psalms gives the following introduction into the
significance of Hallel.

This series of Psalms (113-118) constitutes one group,
namely the "Hallel." This uplifting song of the Jewish nation has accompanied
us through the millennia of our wanderings through the ages, has
kept alive within us the awareness of our mission in world history and
sustained us during days of trial. At the hour of redemption the Hallel filled
our mouths with hymns of praise to the Lord, and even now, on the days
appointed for the remembrance of the mighty acts of God which we have
experienced, the Hallel helps us relive the stem trials we have passed through
and the rejoicing that was ours at the time of deliverance. Finally, it keeps
our hearts and spirits receptive for whatever sadness or joy the future might
hold for us (see Pesahim 117a). God's wondrous mercy is at work not
only in extraordinary occurrences, but also in the smooth, ordinary course
of daily life.  .....   Indeed, the ever-growing burden
of Galuth makes the very survival of the Jewish people appear as one
continuous miracle of God's saving power so that the constant recurrence
of God's mighty acts causes them to pass us by unnoticed (Shabbath 13b).
It is most probably in view of all the foregoing that our people has
incorporated
the hymn of HaIlel, except for some abridgments, into the order of
prayers for every New Moon.

Psalm 113 emphasizes the difference of the concept of God cherished
by the Jewish people from that held by the rest of the world. Psalm 114
deals with the historic election and destiny of Israel, which is to enter into
the course of the history of the nations on earth as God's holy people with
its own unique concept and worship of Him. Psalm 115 discusses the ideas
and ideals with which our obvious differences from the other nations must
imbue us even while we dwell in their midst. Psalm 116 proclaims that
unshakeable trust which we should derive, both for the present and for all
time to come, from all the dangers we have experienced and which we have
overcome only through God's help. This unalterable trust should serve to
sustain us constantly, regardless of the perils that the future may bring.
At the same time, we are reminded that our miraculous survival qualifies
and obliges us to an ever-growing extent to discharge our ordained task,
namely, as the messengers of God, to call upon men and nations to recognize
God and to worship Him. Such a call to all the nations is contained in the
two verses of Psalm 117. To this is joined Psalm 118, calling upon all men
who thus return to God to join the Jewish nation in its homage to Him,
and, looking back upon the events of Jewish history now taking place
before their very eyes, to adopt those convictions regarding the rule of
God and the calling of mankind which make all men enter into the gates
of the Jewish Sanctuary and worship as "their God" that God Whose Law
is taught there.