[Avodah] R Elyashiv and crocs on YK

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Tue Sep 29 16:50:17 PDT 2009

According to his reasoning, R' Elyashiv says that there should not be
a level of comfort.  The following is a quote from the article:
"His reasoning behind the ruling is that they are too comfortable, and
thus don't provide the level of suffering one should feel on the
holiday."

Since when are we supposed to cause additional suffering on Y"K --
especially involving footwear. The reasons for no leather have nothing
to do with comfort.  According to his ruling, sneakers should also not
be allowed. Sneakers, for many, including myself, are extremely
comfortable!
More comfortable than leather shoes.

Y"K is not a day of mourning. I would like to understand where this
idea of suffering comes from. There is sufficient suffering from
fasting and from
confessing our aveiros.

ri